Hamilton’s movers and shakers have called Highland Park home ever since the neighborhood took root. During the city’s most vibrant decades, our influential residents, both great and small, shaped every aspect of Hamilton life. This list, which is not complete, introduces a handful of the politicians, entrepreneurs, and professional men whose presence and civic contributions gave Highland Park its luster as the Hamilton neighborhood of choice.
Behind these men stood an army of wives and family members who ran the machinery of Hamilton society. Using the powerful hospitality of their Highland Park homes, these families guided the city in which they lived. Hamilton would not have been the industrial powerhouse it was without the connections made at the card parties, luncheons and evening soirees that passed skillfully through the living rooms and dining rooms of Highland Park homes.
Paul A. Baden, 668 Emerson Avenue. Butler County Prosecutor from 1932 to 1948, during which time Baden oversaw 116 cases that went to jury, 93 of which won guilty verdicts. Named a Fellow in the American College of Trial Lawyers.
Frank Barker, 440 Marcia Avenue. Manager then owner of the Carr Milling Company, organizer Hamilton Chamber of Commerce, director Hamilton Chamber of Commerce, treasurer Hamilton Chamber of Commerce.
Minor M. Beckett, 407 Dick Avenue. President Beckett Paper Company, member Hamilton City Council, director Chamber of Commerce. Mr. Beckett died at age 32 following a fall from a window at his residence in 1928.
Charles R. Blumenthal, 619 Dick Avenue. Co-founder and president of the Liberty Sheet Metal Company, honorary president of Temple Bene Israel, president of the Jewish Welfare Federation, chairman of Bonds for Israel, recipient of the Salvation Army “I Care” award for lengthy service to the Christmas in Every Home campaigns.
Dr. Garret J. Boone, 915 Alberton Avenue. Physician and Surgeon. Butler County Coroner for 35 years. Nationally known forensic expert. Boone met his wife, Carolyn, while teaching chemistry at Christ Hospital.
Michael O. Burns, 917 Virginia Avenue. Butler County Common Pleas Judge 1937, Butler County Prosecutor, Hamilton City Solicitor, elected in 1926 national president of the Fraternal Order of Eagles.
Hosmer R. Grosvenor, 438 Marcia Avenue, 508 Marcia Avenue, 650 Marcia Avenue. City editor Hamilton Evening Journal News, later vice president and general manager of the Journal Publishing Company. Mr. Grosvenor served 50 years with the Journal News.
Homer J. Iske, 410 Haven Avenue. Co-founder MacGregor Ice Cream Company.
Charles Edward Koehler, 916 Gray Avenue. President Hamilton Brass and Aluminum Casting Company.
Elmer C. Kraus, 610 Emerson Avenue. Secretary Butler Building and Loan, treasurer and part owner of Horn and Kraus Lumber Company. Highland Park croquet champion 1932, elected president of the Miami University Alumni Association in 1927.
The Lowentsein Family, 1300 (David Silver) and 1303 (Joseph Lowenstein) Cereal Avenue. Civic leaders and owners of the Lowenstein Furniture Company, the largest furniture store in Hamilton. The six story Lowenstein Building, standing on the northwest corner of Ludlow and South Third Street in downtown Hamilton, was designed by Hamilton architect Frederick Mueller and is now home to Community First Solutions.
Dr. George E. Marr, 790 Dick Avenue. Chief Surgical Resident and First Assistant to the Surgical Staff of the Mayo Clinic. First person born at Mercy Hospital to serve as Chief of Staff at Mercy. Chief of Staff Fort Hamilton Hospital.
Robert W. Mense, 554 Dick Avenue. Treasurer, later president, Mense Brothers Incorporated (real estate and district managers Aetna Insurance).
Louis M. Piker, 835 Virginia Avenue. President and treasurer of the Hamilton Metal Products Company, which produced the famous, tartan Skotch Cooler beginning in 1951.
Walter A. Rentschler, 685 Marcia Avenue, 716 Gray Avenue. Vice president and secretary of the General Machinery Corporation (later Baldwin-Lima-Hamilton), secretary and treasurer the G. A. Rentschler Company (Hamilton Foundry), Vice President The Hooven, Ownens, Rentshcler Company (later Baldwin-Lima-Hamilton) and The Putnam Machine Company. President (1958) the Citizens Savings Bank, later (1967) chairman of the board. Board member the Miami Conservancy District, president of the Conservancy from 1968 to 1975. Primary land donor Butler County Park District Rentschler Forest Preserve.
George Sauer, 950 Haldimand Avenue. Proprietor, the Hamilton Brokerage Company, 227 Court Street.
Frederick W. Schlicter, 449 Dick Avenue (c. 1930). Mechanical engineer, superintendent, secretary and later president of the Hamilton Tool Company. Inventor of the gentle, variable speed Hamilton Varimatic Drilling Machine. President Brotherhood of St. Paul Evangelical Reformed Church, past president Hamilton Council of Churches, board member of Fort Hamilton Hospital and director of the hospital expansion committee, past president Ohio Polled Hereford Association.
Robert M. Sohngen, 303 Dick Avenue. Ohio Supreme Court justice 1947 to 1948, director Ohio Department of Liquor Control 1945 to 1946, state counsel for the Home Owners Loan Corporation 1933 to 1945, Hamilton city solicitor 1922 to 1923, chairman Butler County Democratic executive committee.
Samuel F. Spoerl, 550 Dick Avenue. Secretary, later president, Spoerl Hardware, 164 High Street.
John L. Stanfill, 436 Dick Avenue. Owner, the Cincinnati-Hamilton Bus Company.
Harry Turberg, 606 Marcia Avenue. Treasurer, co-founder of the Palace Theater, 213 South Third Street.