Events great and small have happened in Highland Park during the neighborhood’s hundred year existence. The timeline samples a delectable few of them.
May 10, 1919 — Purchasers DeArmond and Thompson announce that the former Beardsley property atop Prospect Hill shall be developed into a high-class subdivision called Highland Park. “[We] feel certain,” Mr. DeArmond said, “that this addition will develop into the best residential section in Hamilton.”
June 26, 1919 — “The Dawn of a New Day” in Hamilton, Ohio, the Calahan and Reed Development Company advertises the availability of lots in Highland Park. Dial 1600 for more information.
June 2, 1922 — The Hamilton Daily News reports that home delivery of U. S. mail has been approved for Highland Park.
October 29, 1923 — “The Great Idea”, a film promoting home ownership and tasteful architecture, begins playing at the Rialto.
June 20, 1923 — A party at the home of Reverend W. F. Kissel very nearly is spoiled when thieves partake of the Reverend’s ice cream from his back porch.
July 28, 1924 — The horse of Miss Helen Woodruff, daughter of Judge Robert S. Woodruff, slips on the sloping curbs of Highland Park. Scraped and sprained, Miss Woodruff is expected to recover. No word on the horse.
October 22, 1924 — Highland Park forms its first armed posse.
May 25, 1926 — Land between Cereal and Halidmand Avenues is chosen as the site for the future Fort Hamilton Hospital.
August 2, 1926 — Children of Marcia and Dick Avenues throw a benefit circus on the lawn of Ernst Heiser. Tickets are a penny each and drinks, candy and popcorn are sold. Nearly $20 is raised and donated to the Kiddies Health Camp Fund.
September 29, 1926 — George Bast of 923 Virginia Avenue is robbed of 2-cents by three men at gun point on Main Street.
August 26, 1928 — Mr. & Mrs. Paul Baden, soon to take up residence at 668 Emerson, are spending their honeymoon at The Thousand Islands, Canada.
October 4, 1928 — Wm. F. Conradt & Son, “Builders of Better Homes,” advertise their services in the Hamilton Evening Journal. The display ad prominently features 917 Virginia Avenue designed by local architect Frederick Mueller.
October 25, 1929 — Allen Piker, a 4th grader at Fillmore Elementary School and son of Mr. and Mrs. Louis Piker of 835 Virginia Avenue, dies of infantile paralysis (polio).
January 2, 1930 — Edward Moebus receives the first building permit of 1930 to build an eight-room, brick house at 616 Marcia Avenue. The house will cost $9,500. George Hicks, Contractor.
July 30, 1930 — The Modern Drama Circle meets at the home of Mrs. Charles E. Mason, 670 Emerson Avenue. “Strictly Dishonorable” by Preston Sturges is read.
February 3, 1932 — Walter Rentschler of 716 Gray Avenue reports the theft of his LaSalle coupe from the corner of Monument Avenue and Court Street.
September 5, 1932 — The Highland Park Croquet Club throws an end-of-season picnic on the lawn of Mr. and Mrs. Elmer Kraus of Emerson Avenue. Club champion Elmer Kraus receives a golden horseshoe. Womens champion Mrs. Drew Webster receives an engraved silver loving cup. Charles Dixon receives a medal of recognition for his work as score keeper.
September 24, 1932 — Mr. and Mrs. Marshall Barker of Emerson Avenue entertain four tables of bridge.
October 19, 1932 — The Hamilton Daily News reports that police are on the look-out for Charles Blumenthal’s Persion cat recently on the lamb from 619 Dick Avenue.
June 18, 1934 — The board of the Y. W. C. A. meets at the home of Mrs. Robert Sohngen, 303 Dick Avenue. Ices and cakes are served.
April 13, 1935 — The Hamilton Daily News Journal reports that the Burns’ apricot and peach trees at 917 Virginia Avenue are fully in bloom.
November 16, 1935 — The Blumenthals of 619 Dick Avenue throw an elegant Chinese-theme party and midnight supper.
January 4, 1936 — The Baden boys of 668 “work like Trojans” to clear drifting snow from the center of Emerson Avenue.
March 12, 1936 — During a heavy snowstorm, Mrs. Louis Sauer of 601 Emerson Avenue drives into Patrolman Levi Justice at the intersection of Main and B Streets. No citations are issued. Patrolman Justice returns to duty the next day.
May 28, 1936 — Mrs. Julius Schmidt of 695 Marcia Avenue hosts the YWCA Mothers’ Club Chorus at her home for luncheon.
June 3, 1936 — Children of Marcia Avenue petition Hamilton City Council for the right to play in Virginia Park.
June 30, 1936 — The Hamilton Journal Daily News reports that Attorney Edwin B. Pierce has received a building permit for a home at the corner of Highland and Marcia Avenues. The house will be 690 Marcia Avenue, the only Art Deco residence in Highland Park.
August 16, 1936 — Lightning strikes transformers in the Highland Park and Lawn Park electrical circuits Saturday killing power to the neighborhoods. Crews take until Monday to find and by-pass the destroyed transformers.
March 8, 1945 — Ohio Governor Frank J. Lausche is the overnight guest of Robert M. Sohngen, 303 Dick Avenue.
May 12, 1951 — The wedding of Miss Ellen Bartels to Mr. Edwin Benson, Jr. takes place at the home of her parents, 440 Dick Avenue. Mr. Benson’s parents are of 690 Marcia Avenue.
October 9, 1954 — Highland Park and Lawn Park residents unite against a proposal by the City of Hamilton to install above-ground electric lines. Officers of the Highland Park and Lawn Park Property Owners group are: Frank Conner, general chairman, 620 Dick Ave.; Marc E. Welliver, vice chairman, 340 Marcia Ave.; Mrs. Joyce Graf, secretary, 480 Emerson Ave.; Walter Emerick, treasurer, 810 Lawn Ave.; Paul A. Baden, head of the legal committee, 668 Emerson Ave.; Arthur F. Knoll, head of engineering committee, 660 Emerson Ave.; and Mrs. Helen Duersch, publicity, 451 Haven Ave.
December 27, 1956 — Robert Mense of 554 Dick Avenue reports the theft of 22 “Yule lights” valued at $5.
December 23, 1961 — The Richard Scholl family of 667 Emerson Avenue displays South American Christmas decorations and traditions after their recent stay in Brazil. Of special note are ornaments in the shape of kitchen appliances and a hand-carved Nativity made from the Cabreuva tree.
July 7, 1964 — The Hamilton Journal News reports that Mr. & Mrs. Herman L. Sanders of 915 Highland Avenue have received the Certificate of Commendation for Zone 5 from the Community Appearance Project sponsored by the Hamilton Association of Trade and Industry.
June 20, 1972 — Mrs. Irene Williams of 815 Lawn Avenue is named principal of Adams Elementary.